The 34m high octagonal bell tower was commissioned by Archduke Charles II and was built in 1588. It houses the third largest bell in the region of Styria. It was cast in 1587. The bell has a diameter of ~ 2m and weights 4632kg. It rings 101 strokes each day at 7am, 12pm and 7pm. The citizens of Graz rallied to spare the bell tower when the fortifications of the Schlossberg were ordered destroyed in a deal with Napoleon.
Pics from a free day in Graz, Austria. Nov 16 2011.